When you’re a whisky aficionado and you find yourself at one of your favourite distilleries tasting some liquid gold that you find irresistible, what would you do?
You buy the cask, of course. And that’s what Andrew Derbidge, Director and Cellarmaster of the Australian Branch of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society and the voice behind the blog Whisky & Wisdom has done.
Glenfarclas 2007 Special Release Bottling for Whisky & Wisdom is a limited release whisky that has been made available solely for the Australian market. The single malt checks all the boxes for being matured exclusively in a first fill, ex Oloroso sherry butt, bottled at cask strength with no water added, non-chill filtered with no artificial colouring.
Glenfarclas 2007 Special Release Bottling for Whisky & Wisdom Tasting Notes
- Country of Origin: Scotland
- ABV: 60.5%
- Colour: mahogany
- Nose: loads of apricots at first followed by the usual dried fruit notes such as raisins, sultanas, elements of toffee sweetness, dark chocolate, soft warm spices mainly cinnamon and some cloves. No noticeable burn for the ABV.
- Palate: thick, viscous, chewy syrupy with solid dried fruits notes, Christmas pudding, toffee sweetness, warm soft spices lead to some oak, dark chocolate develops on subsequent sips, surprisingly smooth for the ABV
- Finish: a long, lingering warming finish with rich Christmas pudding, dark chocolate and cinnamon spice with some oak
- Comments: a sherry bomb of a whisky that balances Christmas pudding fruit notes with soft spice and some oak. An end of night whisky, good with dark chocolate or mature cheddar cheese.
Glenfarclas 2007 Special Release Bottling for Whisky & Wisdom retails at $229 AUD. Only 252 bottles are available through The Whisky Empire online retailer. You can also find it by the dram at Whisky and Alement in Melbourne and Archie Rose in Sydney.
This article is posted on Gourmantic.com - All rights reserved - Copyright © 2018.