Welcome to the first edition of Sips & Bites where we feature bite-sized information on new restaurant and bar openings including what’s on in Sydney. This new feature will be published on a regular basis and replaces the monthly “New Restaurant and Bars Openings” that we have been presenting since 2014.
Tonic Lane Neutral Bay
Tonic Lane (pictured above), Sydney’s newest gin bar is part cafe part gin bar with a focus on Australian gins and tonics. Check out the review of Tonic Lane here.
Shop 6, 8 Young Lane, Neutral Bay
Zebra Green Café & Loft Bar
Zebra Green Café & Loft Bar has opened in Bondi with a shared menu that changes weekly and a focus on fresh and seasonal produce. Think Sticky Smokey BBQ wings with their signature Zebra Green sauce, Humpty Doo saltwater barramundi and Habanero, Chilli & Lime Spatchcock. Open for brunch, lunch, dinner.
Zebra Green, 82 Bronte Road, Bondi Junction
Merivale will be opening Fred’s in August, a new 60-seater restaurant in Paddington, led by Danielle Alvarez, an alum of Chez Panisse and the Napa Valley’s three-Michelin-starred French Laundry. The focus is on using old-world techniques such as cooking with a wood-fired hearth and oven and the finest produce.
Fred’s, 380 Oxford Street, Paddington
Charlie Parker’s Paddington
The basement of Fred’s (see above) will be home to Charlie Parker’s, an intimate bar with stunning interiors and seasonally-led cocktails that echo Danielle’s focus on enhancing quality ingredients with Toby Marshall and Sam Egerton at the helm.
Charlie Parker, 380 Oxford Street, Paddington
Smokey’s Cabin, Upstairs @ Surly’s
Surley’s in Surry Hills has expanded with the opening of Smokey’s Cabin located upstairs. The lounge offers American BBQ food, spicy chicken wings, arcade games and shuffleboard. Smokey’s Cabin is open Wednesday to Saturday.
Smokey’s Cabin, Upstairs at Surly’s, 182 Campbell St Surry Hills
Bleu Blanc Rouge Festival
BBR or Bleu Blanc Rouge Festival kicks off this week running from Thurs 14 to Sun 17 July at Circular Quay and Customs House Square. Highlights include Bastille Day Party from 6pm on Thursday 14 July, “Tour de France” cooking masterclasses, The European Gourmet Market, BBR Wine Market, Free Live Concerts and The Grand Cabaret Show on Friday 15th July at 7.15pm in front of Customs House, Sydney.
Jack Daniel’s Launches Barrel Hunt
To celebrate its 150th anniversary, Jack Daniel’s is launching a whiskey-driven scavenger hunt on July 1 in Lynchburg. 150 barrels will be hidden around the world and will contain different prizes. Australia is set to receive 10 barrels which will be hidden at sites that have historic and cultural references. The clues will be posted on Jack Daniel’s Facebook pages so keep an eye out.
Urban Purveyor Group to launch Five Sydney Restaurants
The Urban Purveyor Group will bring three restaurants to Westfield Sydney: Fratelli Fresh, the first Fratelli Famous pizzeria as well as one of three Saké Jr. restaurants that will open in Sydney and Melbourne in August. World Square will also have Fratelli Famous pizzeria and will be joined by The Bavarian.
Urban Purveyor Group will open three new venues in Melbourne over coming months. The Cut and Fratelli Fresh will move into The Alfred at 7 Alfred Place by the end of July. A Saké Jr. will open at 555 Bourke Street, and another at St Collins Lane shopping centre, in August.
The Dolphin Wine Room & Salumeria
The third stage of the new Dolphin is now complete with the opening of The Dolphin Wine Room & Salumeria. Open from 5pm till midnight, 7 days a week, the Wine Room also features a producer focused wine list of more than 35 wines by the glass and over 150 by the bottle.
The Dolphin, 412 Crown St, Surry Hills
Mismatch Brewing Co Sydney Road Trip
Beer fans, mark your diaries for the Mismatch Brewing Co Sydney Road Trip running over 4 consecutive days:
- Wednesday 20.07.16: South Australian Tap Takeover w/Mismatch Brewing Co, Fox Hat Brewing & Prancing Pony with Uncle Hops/Bottled Lightning. $10 Per Head at 6.30PM
- Thursday 21.07.16: Beers & Boilermakers – Collaboration Negroni IPA on Tap, Boilermakers in Frankie’s Fun Room & Steve Edmonds Live at Frankie’s Pizza By The Slice at 6PM
- Friday 22.07.16: Mismatch Brewing Co. Tap Takeover – Starring the Triple Chocolate Stout, Negroni IPA, Archie’s Evil, Twin and cocktails on tap from Adelaide Hills Distillery at Royal Albert Hotel from 5.30PM
- Saturday 23.07.16: Empire Hotel Beer Club w/ Mismatch Brewing Co & Illawarra Brewing. 2 paddles from each brewery & meet the brewers. Nibbles included. Bookings Essential from Empire Hotel. $25 Per Head, 3PM
Young Henrys X Jameson Irish Whiskey
Young Henrys craft brewery and Jameson Irish whiskey have partnered up to bring whiskey and beer lovers together with their take on the traditional Boilermaker serve. From now until the 31st August 2016 participating venues across Australia will be serving Jameson Caskmates x Young Henrys boilermakers. ‘Boilermates’, consist of a Jameson Caskmates neat serve or on the rocks paired with a Young Henrys beer of choice. Participating venues include Mojo Record Bar, Bat Country, The Hazy Rose, Vasco Bar, Black Penny and Mary’s.
- Regional Flavours Brisbane is on this July 16 and 17 and we have the ultimate guide for the foodie event.
- The hottest venue openings of 2016 to date: Kittyhawk in Sydney and Big Poppa’s in Darlinghurst.
- The Oaks in Neutral Bay is going Japanese with a Kirin Pop Up during the winter months.
- Here are the best Martini recipes to make at home.
- The Resident has opened in Darlinghurst
- It’s not a sushi train, it’s MediTrainean.
- Marrickville is getting a taste of the Eastern Mediterranean with the opening of Barzaari.
- Check out this Fishbowl Poke Bar in Bondi Beach
Opening a new restaurant or bar? Contact us here.
This article is posted on Gourmantic.com - All rights reserved - Copyright © 2017.