Kininvie 23 Year Old

William Grant & Sons has launched Kininvie 23 yo expression into the Australian market, the third release by Kininvie but the first in Australia.

Kininvie 23 Years Old
Kininvie 23 Year Old

Kininvie distillery was established in 1990 by Janet Sheed Roberts, the last remaining grandaughter of William Grant. Kininvie means “end of field” in Gaelic and is discretely located  between Glenfiddich and The Balvenie which is often referred to as the “secret distillery”.

In keeping with Kinivie’s reputation of being reclusive, the launch as aptly held at Magazin, a subterranean private members-only bar in Sydney’s Darlinghurst. A Chocolate Old Fashioned cocktail made with Monkey Shoulder was served on arrival before guests were seated for a guided tasting with Laura Hay, William Grant & Sons whisky ambassador.

Kininvie 23 Years Old
Laura Hay

Four Kininvie expressions were on taste, the first two being single cask and cask strength expressions not available for purchase.

Kininvie Single Cask 1999 (55.7% ABV) is matured exclusively in ex-bourbon American oak casks. Honey-like in colour and quite syrupy in the glass, the spirit exhibits floral and grassy notes on the nose along with vanilla and a hint of toffee which translate to the palate.

As old as the distillery, Kininvie Single Cask 1990 (59% ABV) is matured in ex sherry casks and has a deeper copper hue and similar viscosity in the glass. The single malt still retains its floral and grassy character but is supplemented with dried fruit, Christmas spice, dark chocolate and leathery notes.

Kininvie 23 Years Old
Kininvie 17 & 23 Year Old

Kininvie 17 yo (42.6% ABV) has been available in the travel retail market for over a year. 80% of the single malt has been matured in ex bourbon casks while the remainder 20% was aged in ex sherry casks. The liquid is a prime example of the Kinivie DNA with floral and grassy notes, hints of citrus and sweet vanilla. It’s an elegant whisky with which to start the evening.

Kininvie 23 yo Batch No 3 (42.6% ABV) has been matured in a combination of ex bourbon and ex sherry casks. The singlemalt starts soft on the nose, with the trademark floral notes then develops in the glass with sweet vanilla and honey then stone fruit. Oily and viscous on the palate, dried fruit and spices develop before a long finish with hints of dark chocolate.

To sum up, Kininvie is unlike any other single malt in the William Grant & Sons portfolio. The word “different” was mentioned frequently at the event and after spending time as a recluse and going into the blend that makes Monkey Shoulder, “it is time for Kininvie to come out and shine like other stars of William Grant & Sons,” as Laura put it so well.

Kininvie 23 yo is available in 350ml bottles and will retail in Australia for $210 AUD.

Photography © by Kevin Burke for Gourmantic – Copyright: All rights reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article is posted on Gourmantic.com - All rights reserved - Copyright © 2016.

Kininvie 23 Year Old was last modified: December 20th, 2015 by Corinne Mossati

Did you enjoy this article? Share it with your friends using the icons below.

Corinne Mossati

Corinne Mossati is the founder and editor of Gourmantic. An avid scribe, she has taken pen to paper since the age of five. Her repertoire includes long works of fiction, short stories and travelogues. She is a winner of the GT travel writing competition, has judged the Australasian Whisky Awards and several cocktail competitions. She is also named in the Australian Bartender Most Influential List.

Comments are closed